Monday, September 13, 2010

Complaint Letter #6 about AIESEC Kolkata!

My AIESEC internship in Kolkata was almost non-existent and was nothing close to what had been promised to me in the JD and by members of AIESEC Kolkata before I arrived. The first problem was that AIESEC Kolkata took 12 days before finally taking me to the organisation. In these 12 days, AIESEC kept promising to come but then just would not turn up and gave various excuses for this. Once I was finally taken to the organisation I learnt that I was to work only one and a half hours a day, instead of the 40 hours a week that had been specified on the TN form. The job in the school turned out to be just like babysitting as we weren't expected to do anything imparticular. Before going to India I had communicated a lot with my manager Tanuj who ensured that the job would be teaching English and other core curricular subjects at the school. Many interns were matched to this organisation so there were 4-5 of us at a time in the classroom where we weren't really needed. After about two weeks of working there we contacted a teacher at the school who said we were no longer needed there at all. After this AIESEC failed to find us other suitable internships as the ones they offered were either too far away or inappropriate for the time we had remaining in India. I ended up travelling and then returning to Kolkata to work at Mother Teresa's House, both great experiences but not what I had come to India to do. Due to this internship and the poor reception of AIESEC Kolkata I have lost quite a lot of faith in AIESEC itself.

New Zealand Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment